Taking the Read Through The Bible Challenge?

If you are taking the challenge to read the Bible in a year, stop by my other blog:

http://readthroughthebiblechallenge.blogspot.com/

Weekly posts and an opportunity to ask questions or give your perspective. Let's study the Bible TOGETHER!

24 November 2011

The Obligatory Thanksgiving Post (which I am thankful to write)

It's that time of the year again. The hustle and bustle for the turkey dinner is happening; Christmas decorations are coming out; there's a mess everywhere (and if you have kids that are anything like I was, they are trying to find ways to weasel out cleaning duties). We know it's the day to "give thanks", and our dinner prayer might be a little more fervent. We might ask people what they are thankful for. Here's MY list of things to be thankful for. Can you add anything to it?

First and foremost -- I thank God that He gave my mother the ability to send me to a Christian elementary school to find out about Jesus Christ and to bow my knee to Him, confessing my need for a forgiveness and a Savior, in 5th grade.

God has blessed me with a perfect apartment, the perfect landlords, and the perfect living situation. I have the perfect job which supplies my needs and creates a situation where I lean on God on a daily basis.

My friends know of my quirks and love me anyway.

My enemies are few.

I have electricity, running water, a comfortable bed, and companionship of two wonderful dogs as well as visitation to four goddogs.

God opens and closes doors for me in a way that makes it clear which path He has prepared for me.

I have been blessed with the gift of Thrift and the gift of creativity, which allows me to live out the song "Little Is Much When God Is In It".

Because I spend time in His Word, I am constantly improving myself through the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

This year, God has worked on my "eye trouble" as well as my "I trouble", and I find myself able to turn away from temptations of the eyes a lot easier. As to my "I trouble" -- He is helping me to see areas where selfishness still resides.

God has also shown me that He keeps His promises! The more of me (or of money, time, possessions) that I pass along, the more He gives to me. I am not talking about "health and wealth gospel". I mean the peace and joy that comes from knowing that the things I do are in His will. It's been an interesting journey, that's for sure!

I am thankful for technology. I can study my Bible from my telephone, my computer, or a physical book. I have unlimited free resources on the internet. I am able to listen to many preachers via podcasts. All of these things are helping me to grow.

I am thankful that I see God's Word unfolding in today's newspapers. Every day it seems that the Bible is being proven in the nightly newscasts.

I am thankful that God brought me to Gracepoint Church. I am able to use my talents in His service as never before.

I am thankful that God has provided me with a "thorn in my flesh" situation. It gives me the opportunity to obey Him, to work on my patience, to refrain from speaking when I should remain silent. Every time I am ready to give up on the situation, God brings someone into my path who reminds me that I am where He wants me to be. When it's hard, I am learning to give thanks. When I want to speak out, I am reminded to lean on the promise in Exodus 14:14 -- "The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”When I think it's unbearable, I remember what He bore for me.

And finally, I am thankful that through prayer, my contentment comes because the things He has blessed me with have truly become the desires of my heart.

Happy thankful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment