Taking the Read Through The Bible Challenge?

If you are taking the challenge to read the Bible in a year, stop by my other blog:

http://readthroughthebiblechallenge.blogspot.com/

Weekly posts and an opportunity to ask questions or give your perspective. Let's study the Bible TOGETHER!

29 November 2011

Following God's Lead


I was in Barnes and Noble today. They have an area with seating, but to use the seating, you are asked to purchase something from the Starbuck’s coffee nook.

I was standing in line, waiting to buy my coffee, and in front of me was an elderly lady. I had never met her before. She was calmly waiting in line, looking at the various sweets available.

No words were shared, just mutual admiration for the sweets.

When it was time to order, I felt God prompt me to purchase her coffee and sweet for her. I got out my money, and when the total was announced, I  pushed my money to the clerk and announced that I would pay.

The lady was astonished. She turned to me and asked me why. I told her that I was paying it forward, and that I just wanted to. Her eyes began to water, and she said, “I thought you saw the black ribbon.”

It turns out that she was recently widowed. They were married 62 years. She told me that she hoped it would get easier. I told her that I hoped so as well.

As she left, she told me that my act was the nicest thing that had happened to her in a long time.

Maybe you will have the opportunity to show God’s love during this season. Quietly pay it forward. No ceremony or fanfare, no outward religiosity, no expectations.

I know that I will take opportunities to show God’s love in this way again. Words can’t express the honor I felt to know that God gave me a part in making a widow’s day a little brighter.


For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36  I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.  Matt 25:35-40 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment