Taking the Read Through The Bible Challenge?

If you are taking the challenge to read the Bible in a year, stop by my other blog:

http://readthroughthebiblechallenge.blogspot.com/

Weekly posts and an opportunity to ask questions or give your perspective. Let's study the Bible TOGETHER!

20 July 2012

Worship - 20 July


Where did God go? His presence left the temple and even though Herod enlarged and refurbished the second temple, God’s presence was not there.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.  John 1:1, 2,14 (ESV)

Jesus was God’s glory in the flesh, and He came to live on the earth. Just before He died, He ate a final meal with His disciples and told them that He was going to leave them, but that He would provide a comforter – the Holy Spirit – to dwell inside them.

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. 2 In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?[2] 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. 4 And you know the way to where I am going.” 5  Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” 6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7  If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” John 14:1-7 (ESV)

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. John 14:16-17 (ESV)

26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. John 14:26 (ESV)

“But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.  John 15:26 (ESV)

Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple. 1 Cor 3:16-17 (ESV)

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20  for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Cor 6:19-20 (ESV)

God’s glory went from the tabernacle, with its precisely placed furnishings, to Solomon’s Temple, with its precisely placed furnishings. Jesus was God’s representative on this earth and promised the Holy Spirit would come and represent God – IN US. I find myself convicted of certain sins… and my question to you is, what are YOU doing to your body that would show disrespect to the glory of God? Yikes!

If you have accepted God’s free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, God calls you His temple – what life changes do you need to make to reflect the honor God has given you?

How does this week’s study change your perception of “worship”?

Next week we will find out what the tabernacle furnishings meant – and how they relate to Christians in 2012.

Let me know what you think of this study – is the word “worship” taking on new meaning?

I will see you on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment