Taking the Read Through The Bible Challenge?

If you are taking the challenge to read the Bible in a year, stop by my other blog:

http://readthroughthebiblechallenge.blogspot.com/

Weekly posts and an opportunity to ask questions or give your perspective. Let's study the Bible TOGETHER!

14 March 2012

Walking the Talk - 14 March


The Bible can sure be “heavy handed” sometimes! Monday’s passage gave very specific examples of the type of person who won’t enter God’s kingdom. I hope you took some time to pray and make sure that you are working yourself away from willful sinning every day (that’s not hard. I know! I want to “hide” some of my stuff from God too.)

Today, God will hit us over the head with more sins. Some of these sins are so acceptable in today’s society that we try to say that the Bible isn’t clear about what it means – because we want to be politically correct and socially acceptable. But it’s not our position to say that God’s Word doesn’t have meaning today. We can’t say that translators are wrong. We can’t will away the stuff we don’t like. We may not like what the Bible says, but we are required to obey it.

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Cor 6:9-11 (ESV)

Do you think that our society is deceitful when it comes to some of the sins listed here? Is it clear that there are absolutes to God? Is it also apparent that you can be ensnared in these sins, yet saved out of them? Is it possible to turn from sin? Is it possible to be a Christian and slip back into sin? Is it possible to be a Christian and willfully sin?

If you’ve had an affair and asked God for forgiveness, can you be a Christian?
If you are actively living a homosexual lifestyle, can you be a Christian?
What if you get drunk every night and go out and party? How about acting “like everyone else does” in the business world?

The media tells us that it’s okay to lie, cheat and steal. Adultery, fornication and homosexuality are held in high esteem. Christians are portrayed as fuddy duddies that don’t let people have any fun. Does the pressure put on you by society make you want to obey God less? I know that the pressure can get to me. However, what does God say will happen if I celebrate as good those things that God finds objectionable?

Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Ummmmmm…. Anything YOU need to confess? Anything I need to confess? Help us, dear Jesus!

For years I struggled with one of these sins. I convinced myself that God didn’t mean it. I went to a church that “agreed with me”. But deep in my heart, I knew that I was living a lie. I knew that I couldn’t be a Christian – because the Bible said so – if I remained a willful sinner. I struggled. I argued. I prevaricated. I justified. But in the end, I had to admit that God was right and repent of my sin. I had to stop. I had to turn away. And today, when temptation strikes me, I have learned to physically turn my head so I don’t even look at the particular temptation. It’s difficult, because God doesn’t promise to take the temptation away – He promises to give me no more temptation than I can bear and He promises me a way out of the problem if I look to him.

Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. 7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them. Eph 5:6-7 (KJV)

Please – if you are living in a sin that God has condemned (especially if He tells you that you WILL NOT inherit God’s kingdom), get out of that sin today. God will forgive you. He will help you turn away from your sin. He will heal you. But if you don’t get out of those willful sins, you have a promise – you will be under God’s wrath. Choose today!

If you need help, or prayer, in dealing with one of these sins, please call the church – shoot me an email – find a brother or sister in Christ – and PRAY! Don’t get caught in a sin that will lead you away from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment